Ten Quick Tips About Trailer Hitch Pins
Hitch pins, mostly found in agricultural settings, are tools used for temporarily affixing or conjoining mating elements. In simple words, hitch pins are used for keeping trailers attached to the truck. Manufacturers of this hardware employ a special technique for minimizing noise and to facilitate smooth functioning in the process of towing.
In this write-up, I am going to share some useful tips and information about trailer hitch pins so that you can make the right decision while buying the same for your agricultural setting.
1. You will come across different designs and specifications of trailer hitch pins in the market. There are many manufacturers who also offer trailer hitch pin designs as specified by their customers. You should always use a pin with the right length and diameter.
2. While buying a hitch pin make sure it that can be inserted as well as removed with ease. Ideally, you should opt for a pin that is slightly smaller compared to the clevis of your tractor.
3. While buying trailer hitch pins, make sure you choose the right manufacturer who uses raw-materials of superior quality so that you end up buying pins that are durable, dimensionally accurate , rust-resistant, corrosion-resistant and have a flawless finishing.
4. While buying tractor hitch pins, always select the right grade on the basis of the weight of the trailer. Besides this, the load that the tractor is going to carry also needs to be taken into consideration.
5. Hitch pins are made of different metals. Some buyers opt for hitch pins made of unhardened steel. Though such pins are available at an affordable price, they cannot bear heavy loads and also corrodes easily once exposed to moisture.
6. Some hitch pins are made of ground steel. Such hitch pins go through the process of heat treatment to produce a robust but more fragile form of metal.
7. You will also come across trailer hitch pins made of brass. Such pins are no doubt robust and also resistant to corrosion, but they are incapable of handling heavy work load.
8. Stainless steel hitch pins are not only visually appealing but also known for their durability and robustness. Though pins made of stainless steel are more expensive, it is in huge demand for its resilience. Therefore, while buying hitch pins for your tractor or wagon, make sure you choose tractor hitch pins made of high-quality stainless steel.
9. There have been several instances of trailers getting detached while traveling on busy roads. Therefore, before operating your tractor, you should check the position of the hitch pins to ensure that they are in the right place. This will ensure your safety by keeping trailer mishaps at bay.
10. Tractor hitch pins are critical components for any agricultural setup. However, you should avoid using home-made hitch pins as they cannot handle extreme load and therefore, can prove to be very dangerous, and even fatal at times.
I believe that these tips will go a long way in helping you take necessary precautions while connecting hitch pins to your trailers. These guidelines will also assist you to evaluate the quality of trailer pins that you purchase for your tractor.